Closure Update – March 17, 2015
The raptor closure updates for the season are coming in, the raptors have chosen their nests. See below for the latest.
ANNUAL RAPTOR CLOSURES ARE IN EFFECT FEBRUARY 1ST THROUGH JULY 31ST
All Boulder Canyon climbing areas EXCEPT Eagle Rock are now OPEN!
Climbing areas on City of Boulder OSMP land that are closed until July 31 (full details here):
- Lefthand Canyon Palisades, at the intersection of Lefthand Canyon Drive and Olde Stage Road (Buckingham Picnic area remains open)
- Mount Sanitas Summit, south of the Mt. Sanitas East Ridge Trail, east of Mt. Sanitas Trail (both trails remain open)
- Flagstaff Mountain, the north side of Flagstaff Mountain will be closed (the Boy Scout Trail will remain open)
- Third Flatiron, including the Queen Anne’s Head, W.C Fields Pinnacle, 1911 Gully and the Ghetto, the East Bench & West Bench, the East & West Ironing Boards, The Fin, Green Thumb and Jaws
- Skunk Canyon, including Ridges 2, 3 and 4, the Aechean Pronouncement, the Dreadnaught, the North Ridge and the entirety of Sacred Cliffs
- The Back Porch and The Box
- Bear Creek Spire, north of Bear Canyon Trail
- Fern Canyon, north of the Fern Canyon Trail, including the Nebel Horn Ridge, East Ridge, the Goose and the Goose Eggs (the designated Fern Canyon hiking trail will remain open)
- The Sphinx and The Wings
- Shadow Canyon and the Matron (the Maiden will remain open and accessible from the east; Shadow Canyon Trail will remain open)
- The entire Mickey Mouse wall, including South Tower, North Tower, Central Tower, Ship’s Prow, Wall of Shiva’s Dance, The Gargoyle, the East Face and Cryptic Crag
Climbing areas on US Forest Service land that are closed until July 31 (full details here):
- Eagle Rock
Climbing areas in Eldorado Canyon State Park that are closed until July 15 (full details here):
- Millennium Crag
- Rattlesnake Gulch Trail upper loop
Climbing areas in Clear Creek Canyon on Jefferson County land that are closed until July 31 (full details here):
- Stumbling Block
- Bumbling Stock
- Skinny Legs/Blonde Formation
ADDITIONAL LOCAL CLIMBING AREA CLOSURES
- Boulder Falls, which includes access to the Plotinus Wall and the Wall of Winter Warmth, remains closed until flood damage is repaired.
Each year from February 1 to July 31 some climbing crags are closed to protect nesting raptors. We will post the most current closure information for Eldorado Canyon, the Flatirons, and Boulder Canyon as it becomes available.
The closures help protect long-established raptor nesting territory, including vital alternate nest sites. Undisturbed access to multiple nest sites is important for birds of prey, especially early in the nesting season, to give them a chance to visit multiple nests during courtship and to select a site for the season, free of human influence.
“These closures allow the birds to choose a nest site without human disturbance. The chosen site remains closed until the eagles fledge in late July, but we typically reopen other parts of the area earlier,” said wildlife biologist Bev Baker.
2014 closures on Boulder OSMP land helped to produce six peregrine falcons, nine prairie falcons and three golden eagles.